Monday, January 16, 2012

Tories and Republicans

I was particularly interested in Hannah More’s condemnation of the French Revolution in “Village Politics.” Perhaps because the Republican primaries have dominated the news for the past few weeks, I found a striking similarity between Jack Anvil’s arguments and Mitt Romney’s platform. Both are decidedly unapologetic of their stances, claiming that the form of government they advocate is the best in the world. The socio-economic systems of their respective countries face widespread criticisms from the masses, which call for socialist reforms, yet Jack and Romney both argue that the system is fundamentally sound. They assert that hard work will inevitably lead to a stronger state, and that the imposition of equality by government will inevitably lead to decay. This dialogue demonstrates that the sentiments of eighteenth century Tories still resonate in the Republican Party, and presumably the Conservative Party of the United Kingdom.

2 comments:

  1. Your post made me realize how dramatically political labels can change. Tom, the pro-revolutionary, seems very conservative by today’s standards (his “but still I should have no one over my head” is similar to today’s “At least it’s not in my backyard”) while Jack, the anti-revolutionary conservative, is praising the merits of “big government” and a society that takes care of you, something that France adheres to today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud your ability to connect our readings to not only the election process going on today, but to a political party from the 18th century as well. That is one ability I hope to improve upon myself!

    ReplyDelete