After reading Robert Burns’ glowing introduction, I was
eager to turn the page and delve into the “divinity” that is his work. Though
too simple and “sing-songy” to impress me through craft, I did enjoy Burns’
poems, namely “Robert Bruce’s March to Bannockburn.” The premise of the poem is
nothing novel—a leader rallies his troops through appeals to patriotism and
love of liberty. Nonetheless, I finished the poem feeling surprisingly involved
with Robert Bruce’s mission. Burns achieves this sense of camaraderie in his
reader through the strength of his speaker’s voice and diction.
Beginning with diction, Bruce’s incorporation and sometimes
juxtaposition of powerful words such as gory, victorie, chains, slaverie,
traitor, coward, oppression, and Usurper allows him to appeal to his reader’s
pathos. Patriotism is easily stirred by the image of “sons in servile chains.”
Burns’ command of this tactic is unique; however, I cannot help but deny him
credit for the formulation of such convincing voice from the speaker. Although
it is his mastery and tactful employment of Scottish dialect that allows the
reader to feel so included in the scheme, it is still only the device itself—not
something that Burns creates and polishes on his own. Overall, the most
successful aspect of this poem is the voice—Scottish dialect NOT invented by
Burns.
No comments:
Post a Comment