After reading Alex’s post about “The
Lamb” and the following responses, I wanted to revisit “The Shepard.” Because a
shepherd is a biblical figure, I originally thought that Blake was connecting
religion to nature, showing the peace and harmony between religion and earth’s
creation. However, I now feel that it is a religious critique about a Christian
follower’s lifestyle. By saying the shepherd “strays” makes it seem like he has
no real direction or idea about where he is going. Rather, he is blindly “following
his sheep,” or other Christian followers, all the while being “filled with
praise.” Blake makes it seem like the Shepherd is at peace because he never
questions or rejects other Christian followers (ideas reflected in “The Lamb”).
In stanza two, I think Blake is also criticizing Christian’s for their unholy
actions when no one is watching. Blake says how the flocks (aka Christian
followers) are “at peace,” but only because they “know when their Shepherd is
nigh.” I read that as Christians act genuine, “innocent” and “tender,” but only
when they have another Christian (or a Shepherd) watching them.
No comments:
Post a Comment