Thursday, February 23, 2012

Structure of Earth's Answer

I thought that Gary's reading of "Earth's Answer" as a battle between nature and religion and male and female very interesting and insightful.  I think that the struggle is really apparent in the structure and word choice of this particular poem--it's very difficult and uncomfortable to read.  Unlike the Songs of Innocence, this and most other Songs of Experience do not follow the simple ballad meter.  The five line stanzas follow a fairly regular pattern, but it is nonetheless difficult to articulate.  It feels a lot like a limerick gone wrong.  The punctuation in this poem is somewhat problematic for me.  In some places there seems like there are extraneous  exclamation points and question marks (Does the sower? Sow by night?), which are a way to add emphasis, but more than anything they disrupt the flow--and I use that term very loosely--of the poem.  There are lots of harsh consonant sounds that do not make for easy reading.  Consequently, I could really emphasize with the struggle of "That free Love with bondage bound," as if the expression of the poem itself is stifled by the constraints of words and structure.  This mirrors nature's beauty and aesthetic being constrained by the context of religion that Gary mentioned earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment