Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Admiral and Mrs. Croft in Persuasion

I found the characters of the Crofts to be the most interesting and enjoyable of Jane Austen’s novel, Persuasion. Not only are Admiral and Mrs. Croft amiable and good-natured, but they have formed a happy marriage based on mutual understanding, breaking some of the commonly accepted gender roles of the time. Anne, herself, comments about the Crofts: “there could have been no two hearts so open, no tastes so similar, no feelings so in unison, no countenances so beloved” (59).  In direct contrast, Austen presents the relationship between Anne’s sister Mary and Charles Musgrove as one that is unhappy, fraught with misunderstanding, and controlled by Mary’s nagging and complaining. Mrs. Croft shares her life happily with her husband by accompanying him on his naval ships and even taking the reins of their carriage on their drives. In return, Admiral Croft even admits to doing chores around the home. Through these depictions, Austen raises a question about traditional social spheres in which the woman occupies the “domestic sphere” and the man the “public sphere.” The fact that the Crofts, who seem to defy these established roles, represent the ideal marriage in the eyes of Anne reflects the transition from the traditional into more modern perspectives that is seen throughout the novel.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with reading of the Croft's relationship, and I think that they provide the novel with a hopeful perspective for the 21st century reader. The Elliots, the Musgroves, and even captain Wentworth all seem to be trapped in this struggle between their true feelings and their roles in society. The Croft's, I think, illustrate the potential to strike a balance between a relationship with true emotions and a life in upperclass society. I also think Captain Croft represents, to Sir Walter's dismay, the potential for social mobility. Another important theme in the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your comment too! If you look at what I wrote on Alex's post (Perpetuation of Class and Hierarchical values...) I talked about just that. Admiral Croft, Captain Wentworth, and the rest of the naval characters in the novel defy the traditional idea of what it means to be a gentleman: land-owning, non-working, and titled. They have worked, made their own fortunes, and have been able to climb the social ladder to a distingushed status in society, making them the "new gentlemen" of Austen's more modern world view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree that the Crofts are Austen's examples of a move away from traditional social norms, and that she sees them in a more positive light because of this. However, at some instances in this first volume, it seems that being more progressive in this way does not necessarily mean they are not persuasive and to some extent dominant over Anne's submissive character. For example, at the end of the tenth chapter, the Crofts and Captain Wentworth insist that Anne get in the carriage because she looks so tired. The narrator then says that she "felt that he had placed her there, that his will and his hands had done it" (120). She excuses this, saying that it was probably because she did in fact seem very fatigued, but she still seems to be a bit uncomfortable with their ability to persuade her so easily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that we found the Crofts so wonderful. I couldn't agree more. In a stuffy world defined by social standards, the Crofts live in a decidedly honest and equal manner. Perhaps one of the biggest differences I see between a man such as Mr. Croft and an "English gentlemen" like Mr. Elliott would be vanity. Mr. Elliott has no time to consider others or concern himself with the welfare of his family because he is wrapped up in his own appearance. On the other hand, Mr. Croft is outwardly focused at all times which we know based on his devotion to his wife and to the sea. One of the more humorous examples of the contrast in their vanity is when Mr. Croft comments on how he had to take down some of the mirrors in Mr. Elliott's room. Austen most definitely had a great sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete