Sunday, April 1, 2012

Adonais


I have a couple of comments in regards to “Adonais.” First of all, I found it intriguing that Shelley blames the negative reviews as the reason for Keats’s death’s early arrival. When Shelley scorns the “noteless blot” and “nameless worm” in stanzas 36-37, he is obviously referring the reviewers. I find it interesting though that the reviews that were produced are texts that will be permanently in circulation. Keats’s work, along with these criticisms, is his legacy. I think that it is interesting to think about this in terms of how Keats viewed the Grecian Urn and marbles. Keats wrote about the moments of perfection and anticipation before something great happened (example: the kiss), and how the moments displayed in art are never affected by time and change. I think it’s ironic then that his poetry (which as we talked about is progressive in nature because the words continue it within the poems) is defined by the moments that occur after something is produced, the total opposite of the art Keats discusses in his poetry. However, I like the twist that Shelley incorporates, that Keats is in fact “not dead” (stanza 39+). Shelley makes it appear that although the criticism/response that came after Keats’s publications harmed him, Keats is now in a place where these elements cannot touch him. Shelley puts Keats in a perfect place that is apart from the evil elements (time, change, criticism, etc.) that Keats despised in his poetry. Keats is now like the urn and the marbles that he once described. 

2 comments:

  1. I think the last bit of this post is very fascinating: "Shelley makes it appear that although the criticism/response that came after Keats’s publications harmed him, Keats is now in a place where these elements cannot touch him. Shelley puts Keats in a perfect place that is apart from the evil elements (time, change, criticism, etc.) that Keats despised in his poetry. Keats is now like the urn and the marbles that he once described." I agree that Shelley fulfills one of Keat's poetic moves by establishing Keat's and his poetry as eternal. In "Adoanais", Keats is removed from the terror and time of this world so that he may rest in the joy and excitement of eternity. Shelley seems to be able to face the loss of Keats by thinking of his death in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your idea about the fact that the reason Shelley would be so upset about the negative reviews is that they will be around forever and always connected with his name and work. I thought this drew a strong parallel to the works we read by Keats last week, in the way that he was discussing that an artist's work will last forever and immortalizes the artist (or in this case author himself).

    ReplyDelete