Monday, March 19, 2012

endings

As someone who obsesses over all things Austen,I am particularly fond of Austen's Persuasion.  Although there is a particular charm to all her novels, my affection for Persuasion lies in what I would call the depth and maturity of the novel. In earlier Austen novels, I feel that often the end of the book comes much too quickly i.e a problem arises for Austen's heroine and shortly after it is resolved and there is a marriage (think Pride and Prejudice).  These endings are satisfying but they do little to communicate Austen’s answer to her heroine’s flaws; rather they just express that her heroine’s behavior was flawed.  It seems to me that Anne does more contemplating in this novel.  In the beginning we meet an easily persuaded girl who seems to have lost emotion and joy for all eternity.  But in the end, Anne reclaims her heart and her identity in order to find lasting happiness. The difference in how Austen's Persuasion ends in contrast to her other works speaks to Austen's growth as a writer. One must wonder if this would have become a new Austen characteristic had she lived longer to write more novels. 

3 comments:

  1. I definitely noticed this too; the ending was so completely satisfying, not just in that the heroine finally revealed her true emotions and found them reciprocated, but in that each seemingly strange episode of behavior on both Ann's and Wentworth's behalves are explained, and the sources and metamorphoses of their feelings examined, so that now they can fully enjoy their resulting happiness. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the point you make is very accurate and especially fitting with our most recent class discussions of time and its passage. I like how you connect the maturity of Austen's heroines with Austen's personal growth because it suggests that, quite possibly, she incorporates her own self into her female characters. This leads me to also contemplate whether each female character in any of her novels serves a symbolic purpose, providing readers with an insight into what Austen believes and supports. Her stories thereby take on even stronger commentative characteristics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed the character development in Anne as well. The most striking aspect is that she becomes much more vocal towards the end of the novel, such as when discussing women's and men's forgetting love with Captain Harville. I think many of Austen's characters remain flat in the sense they do not grow in maturity. Elizabeth Bennett marries Mr. Darcy after refusing two proposals and marries him when she realizes his true affections, not when she has developed as a character-- she remains headstrong.

    ReplyDelete