After reading the biographical blurb on Charlotte Smith, I
found myself getting confused as to about whom I was reading during Mrs.
Robinson’s memoirs. They seemed to share so many of the same experiences,
namely being forced into marriage only to be deceived by their husbands. The
repetition of this particular circumstance between the lives of the two women
is intriguing enough on its own; however; my attention was soon drawn to Byron’s
“When We Two Parted.” I interpreted this piece to be written to the other party
of a secret affair, as is suggested by the lines, “They know not I knew thee”
and “In secret we met—/In silence I grieve.” I am surprised by the openness
with which Robinson and Byron address the matter of extramarital relations in
their works. In a sense I suppose it adds a progressive element to the romantic
pieces—confessions that the institution of marriage is not as strong as the
societal construct it had been built up to be. Robinson’s relationship with the
prince is especially telling, as it proves that women, too, were choosing to
seek happiness instead of strict form in their lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment