Saturday, January 28, 2012

Gender Dynamics in The Progress of Romance

I found the tensions within the gender dynamics of the characters from The Progress of Romance to be very intriguing considering the professed aim of their conversation. Euphrasia is concerned with upholding social conventions, morality and virtue as well as chivalry, which she argues presents the feminine sex as weak and in need of protection. Yet she doesn’t quite seem to fit the gender roles that she hopes to protect. Euphrasia fills the dominant role of the knowledgable educator in Evening I and IV while her male companion makes inquiries. When Sophrania appears she presents valid arguments and the piece becomes a discussion between woman rather than a lecture from a woman to a man. When Hortensius finally presents an opinion he is unable to understand the sophisticated language of Euphrasia’s retort and she effortlessly convinces him with her arguments despite professing to be unable to give her “argument its full weight.”

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree that the proposed gender dynamics are incomplete. Even though Euphrasia explicitly states that she does not give a full argument to why the books males read should be scrutinized, Hortensius is "astonished" and "convinced."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree. This seems to be some sort of irony from the author; Euphrasia has been brainwashed into thinking her thoughts and ideas are somehow less valid than any man's, but this is clearly not the case. The real tragedy is the inability of both Hortensius and Euphrasia to recognize this.

    ReplyDelete