Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wordsworth and Napoleon


Wordsworth poem is very interesting because it’s almost prophetic. The first time I read the poem, I did not notice the fact that it was published in 1802, and so I thought Wordsworth had written it after Napoleon’s exile/death. Even though Napoleon is quite powerful in 1802, Wordsworth already sees that Napoleon will never have true “Power” and “Sway” because he is too much of a military man.

But, I think Wordsworth always saw potential in Napoleon, as first shown by the title of the poem. He misspells “Bonaparte” by using the Italian word for “good,” which reflects on Napoleon’s Italian heritage. The Italians brought about the Renaissance and revival throughout Europe, but Napoleon did not reawake brutal, post-revolution France to the ideals of the revolution, but actually brought the nation back to the old ways so to say. Also, Wordsworth’s writes how the lack of a civilian education and other civilian aspects in Napoleon’s life prevented him from being a great leader. Wordsworth’s poem shows that Napoleon woulda coulda shoulda been a great leader if his life had unfolded in a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment