Going back to the Gothic themes
that we discussed last class period, the sexualized images of La Belle Dame
were very obvious to me. Her “sweet moan,” deep sighs, and deep gazes showed
her subjecting to the speaker. As I read those parts, I felt as if she was
captivated by him and gave into his gestures of giving her “garland” and “bracelets.”
Typical woman right? Just kidding. When the speaker “shut her wild sad eyes.” I
think it really showed the male control. In addition, the kings and princes’ “starv’d
lips” were very shocking to me. It was at that moment that I questioned the
supernatural incorporations of the poem.
Going back, speaker depicts the
girl with “wild” eyes, light foots, and “full beautiful.” At first, I thought
that this was to connect her with nature. Nature is beautiful, therefore, she
must also be pure and beautiful coming from nature. However, as the speaker
describes the men looking for her as “death-pale” and having “starv’d lips,” I
couldn’t help but think of the modern day vampire stories. I then thought that
maybe the meaning of “wretched wight,” which I originally thought to be snow,
was perhaps the speaker’s body turning to white, as it does in death. While
this could just be in ordinary death, I thought that maybe the kings and
princes were transforming him into them, being “death-pale.” I know it’s the
Twilight fan in me, but this really reminded me of modern day Bella.
While I cannot comment on any connection to the modern day Bella, I believe the term "wretched wight" refers to an old English term meaning creature or living being. Its connotations, if I recall correctly, were often in connection with the undead. Tolkien, for example, adopted the term in his first Lord of the Rings book, in the form of undead barrow-wights (barrow meaning grave or tomb). I think this really enhances your conclusions about the supernatural and the "death-pale".
ReplyDelete