After initially reading these two poems I was left in a
state of confusion. I had no true grasp on the meaning of either work, but
recalling Keats’s determination to create “art for art’s sake,” I knew I needed
to vigorously tear into his enigmatic poetry to understand it. Focusing on “La
Belle Dame sans Merci” I can only but call to attention certain areas that
struck me. Keats is in my mind a genius for simply pairing the words “palely
loitering.” I would call that great usage of consonance. Keats is able to evoke
an attack on several areas of the reader’s senses. The poem is filled with
seemingly disconnected details (moving from describing squirrel’s granaries to
flowers wilting), but if you can pull together the hints of melancholia,
everything begins to make sense. This poem is about dejection. The reader is
thrust into skewed world (“The sedge is wither’d… no birds sing.”) that should
keep him or her wary when the narrator meets his lovely lady. When looking at
Keats, I find if I try to decipher the specifics past the general ideas (like
the entirety of stanza 10: “La belle Dame sans merci hath thee in thrall!”) I
become lost in the “art”. Hopefully this is rectifiable.
No comments:
Post a Comment