I want to begin this blog post with the above picture. I
used to work at Barnes & Noble, and the fact “Teen Paranormal Romance” is a
recognized genre has always been a source of humor for me. I totally missed the
boat on the Twilight hysteria, and have never really been able to understand
the mainstream’s preoccupation with vampires. After reading “Lenora,” “Alonzo
the Brave, and Fair Imogene” and even “Mary,” my understanding of this genre as
an actual genre has been enlightened.
The preoccupation with death is not new in mainstream literature, and neither
is a preoccupation with love. However, the fusion of these two seemingly
incompatible themes makes for macabre and riveting reading. The mentioned poems
deal with love’s transcendence of mortality. Typically, death is supposed to do
a couple part, but somehow the limits beyond which mortality yields that love
still exists is somehow really romantic, despite it being gory and disturbing.
For Lenora, the death of her husband is romanticized, as he returns to her
despite death and valiantly speeds her away. For Fair Imogene, the promises of
love are eventually her end, as her dead knight returns from beyond the grave
to take her away with him before she can marry someone else, to be with him in
death forever. For Mary, the death of her love drives her mad.
I guess my point in all this is that vampire fiction isn’t
all that much of a stretch; I shouldn’t have thought it so ridiculous.
Stephanie Meyer isn’t original at all, and the trials and travails of undead romance
have predated Bella and Edward by 200 years. I suppose what keeps our interest
in the fusion of these competing themes is that we still have yet to understand
them.

I think it is quite innovative how you've drawn a connection between these Romantic history ballads and the modern-day vampire novel. Indeed, I agree that there is something infatuating about the coalescence of these two themes (death and love) that appears to transcend time and appeal to readers centuries apart. These two concepts are quite abstract: death can never be commented on since it is a pinnacle point of existence and love varies from person to person. I think it's a fair assumption that these themes will continue to perplex and captivate readers for the foreseeable future as I don't believe death and love will grow any less abstract or complex any time soon.
ReplyDelete