Wednesday, February 15, 2012
Intentional Letdown
The first thing that I notice about "La Belle Dame sans Merci" by John Keats is the medieval imagery. From kings and princes to pacing steeds and a lady in the meads, there is a definite sense of invoking a nostalgic time in the past. The most dramatic part of the poem is at the end when the woman leaves him, and the intensity of his loneliness and disjointedness is really shown with the disruption of the rhyme scheme in the last stanza. It was ABCB for every other stanza, but there is no rhyming piece in this last stanza, leaving the reader feeling as unsatisfied and uncertain as the speaker in the poem.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Interesting analysis of the the last stanza of the poem. What makes you think he is still waiting around for the woman? How does the third to last stanza figure in to your analysis of the end of the poem? I find this argument interesting because, by the end of the poem, I would argue that the speaker is not so much alone as he is scared of the "woman without pity".
ReplyDelete