Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Drinking and Drinking to Excess

After re-reading the areas of Castle Rackrent that mention alcohol I believe Edgeworth possesses a somewhat ambivalent attitude towards drinking but definitely condemns drinking to excess. It seems that drinking facilitates social ties as well as a positive reputation, especially in Sir Patrick’s case, and it helps Sir Condy gain support in the election. Yet drinking also leads Sir Condy to make promises he can’t keep and spend way too much money on entertaining. In addition, when Sir Condy goes to bars he meets women below his social class who would not make socially or financial advantageous choices for a spouse. Drinking causes him to say things he should keep to himself, like when it “comes out” that he prefers Judy to Isabella, and prevents rational thinking, for example when it leads him to choose his fiancĂ© by flipping a coin. Because he is always drinking he can't conduct business and his evening glass of whiskey causes marital strife. Eventually Sir Condy drinks himself to death and professes himself a fool. Though drinking is clearly a major part of Scottish culture, Edgeworth seems to argue that overdoing it can lead to the downfall of Irishmen.

2 comments:

  1. I think that the observation you have made is very accurate and that drinking, in moderation, was considered a cultural aspect of Irish life. Specifically with regard to the concluding lines of Castle Rackrent, I think it is important to note that whiskey takes on a baser connotation whereas beer, as I noted in my post, is treated with more sanctity and acceptance. In this way, not only is the extent to which alcohol is consumed integral but also the type of alcohol that is being consumed. The seeming elevation of beer as the "drink of choice" seems to be expressed in Edgeworth's piece. A similar sentiment is expressed by other artists of the time, such as in William Hogarth's 1751 moralist print entitled "Beer Street."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that the distinction between whiskey and beer is important - in my earlier comment I was trying to express that in light of the information you provided what I thought seemed like a straightforward conclusion to the story became more complicated!

    ReplyDelete