For politics in the novel, I feel like Edgeworth is supporting the national interests of the union. I think that she characterizes the Anglo-Irish landlords in a negative light (as disgusted in class about Thady actually not liking them). Therefore, I think by showing them as dysfunctional, it shows the need to combine the Ireland and the United Kingdom so that together all people can improve. In addition, as Thady’s son rises in power, I wonder if that is a symbol of how if Ireland thrives off of the United Kingdom’s success/power, if Ireland could better itself and rise above as well. Also, as Thady is no longer loyal to the family once they lose their power and money, I wonder if that is a symbol of how the Irish will eventually by loyal and adapted into the United Kingdom nation as a whole.
I agree that Edgeworth purposefully highlighted many of the shortcomings and problems within Irish society, and she explicitly states the country needs "melioration" (122). You make an interesting point about the Union being mutually beneficial, and I believe Edgeworth also weighs this possibility in the final line of the novel, which states, "Did the Warwickshire militia...teach the Irish to drink beer? or did they learn from the Irish to drink whiskey?" Whether learning to drink these alcoholic substances is beneficial or not, however, is left unanswered, but Edgeworth makes clear that something must be done to elevate Ireland's social and political conditions and looks at the Union as a possible option for the country.
ReplyDelete