Thursday, February 9, 2012

God Bless!

As a said note, I really am curious about the repeated “God Bless Him!” throughout the text. At first, I thought, as religion is obviously central to Thady’s life and beliefs, that Thady was saying “God Bless Him!” after his stories to make the family seem more important and good. Despite whatever actions the various family remembers did, by concluding it with “God Bless Him!” I thought Thady was lifting up their characterizations by connecting them to the Church. However, after our class discussion, I then thought that maybe Thady was actually saying “God Bless Him!” because he didn’t agree with their actions and thought them evil in nature. Therefore, the God Bless was not meant in a positive way, sanctifying their actions, but as an actual call to God to bless them for their doings.

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting how one class discussion can alter the ways we interpret texts and even the smallest of patterns within them. I agree with Aly that Tuesday's discussion brought out an entirely different side to "Honest" Thady. Are his repetitive remarks- "God Bless Him!" and "Great regard for the family" sincere? Or do they reflect a sense of contempt that Thady is unable to verbalize due to his lower societal class? Though I believe Thady is not completely honest in his declarations of respect for his Rackrent landlords, I do believe his class level is so culturally engrained in his mind that these small remarks come instinctively- not backhandedly or with concern for the salvation of his masters' souls. The repetition of these praises reflect the strength of the feudalistic culture that was so alive in this part of Ireland at this time.

    ReplyDelete