For the most part, it seems that Byron has studied Greek
tragedy, made extensive notes and based Sardanapalus
almost entirely on ancient tragic patterns in drama. The characters in the play
are generally flat, and the narrative is predictable. However, Byron, I think,
does throw his readers a curveball. Byron provides us with Sardanapalus, an
effeminate and decadent character, who remains static, but is unfitting in the
otherwise straightforward narrative. Furthermore, the “hero” in Sardanapalus is generally unclear. This
then begs the question, how much reverence does Byron really have for the
classics? And is neo-classism merely a revival of the ancient memory, or is it
a rendition for Byron? I think the answer lies with Sardanapalus. Much like
Sardanapalus, Shakespeare’s Romeo is effeminate, spoiled and very naïve. And
yet, by the end of Romeo and Juliet,
we are moved by Romeo’s ability to sacrifice for love and his “manliness” is
restored. While Shakespeare doesn’t conform to all of the traditional dramatic
forms, he still retains some semblance of “hero,” generally associated with
masculinity. The lines are much more blurry in Sardanapalus, which forces us as readers to change our
understanding of “hero” versus protagonist, and furthermore our instant
association of “hero” with man. Sardanapalus is a man, and his muchismo is
apparent when we learn of his various affairs and harem, but what remains is
his overtly feminine attitude. This isn’t very Hercules, or whatever. I am not
positive what Byron is trying to prove here, but I think it’s worth mentioning
that our protagonist isn’t necessarily a hero or a villain, he is generally
unchanging despite an ensuing plot, and yet we are supposed to learn something
from the effeminate mannerisms that plague the entire play.
I agree with the commonalities between Sardanapalus and classical dramatic characteristics. When I looked back through the play, it was almost comical how stereotypically "classic" it was. Of course- there is a soothsayer, it takes place in a palace and the protagonist is a king!, the predominant character dynamics are familial (brothers-in-law issues), warring is involved/ensuing…naturally, etc.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure how I feel about the implication that Romeo's masculinity is restored at the end of the play. The double suicide, while tragic, certainly doesn't strike one as particularly masculine, especially when compared to some of Shakespeare's other characters.
ReplyDelete