Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sardanapalus and Arthur

The Noble Savage noted how Sardanapalus seems to draw inspiration not only from the classics but perhaps Shakespeare as well. While I was reading Byron's play I noticed a particular parallel between King Sardanapalus and Ninevah and the Medieval King Arthur and Camelot. Arthurian legend typically depicts him as a complacent king who serves as almighty ruler and judge, but it is his knights who do the grunt-work (rescuing, battling, jousting, courting. etc.). Similarly it is Salemenes who is active in investigating the dissenters in the kingdom. Also, it is known that both kingdoms are doomed to fail. Myrrha alludes to this connection and how both kingdoms are known for their carefree lavishness, Camelot being the center of feasting and tournaments  as well as courtly intrigue. "A King of feasts, and flowers, and wine, and revel, and love, and mirth, was never King of Glory." She also mentions in a 2nd act monologue how "the hour is coming when he'll need all love and find none," which immediately called to mind the betrayal of Arthur by his beloved Lancelot and Guinevere.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure whether the connection between Arthur and Sardanapalus is there. In the Arthurian Romances, Arthur was just as adventurous as his noble knights, defending maidens, commanding troops, and slaying evil-doers across the land. In fact, to me he seems a sort of anti-Sardanapalus. But that's just one opinion, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete