Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Widow of Crescentius and the public/private sphere


It is easy to see why Hemans is associated with the transition to Victorianism. An important issue during the Victorian era was the role of women; whether they belong in the public sphere or private, or both. 

Hemans’ personal life shows how she was very flexible by being both in the public (being a single, self-supporting mom) and private (being a mom). In the poem, Stephania reflects how Hemans acts, and quite visibly, too. She is at first described in a maidenly way “Italian art that fervid glow/ Would o’er ideal beauty throw” but then that beauty is used to make a political statement, which is something public “with such ardent life express/ her high-wrought dreams… surviving Empire’s fall,/ The shade of glory still recall.” She goes into the crowd (public sphere) and is described as being “in the wildness of despair,/ She, his devoted bride, is there.” This is almost a masculine representation, because she is something solid in the midst of turmoil, which is not traditionally acclaimed to women. The description of Stephania definitely helps starts the dialogue on the role of women during the Victorian period.

3 comments:

  1. I would like to respond to the idea that she is "something solid in the midst of turmoil." I would agree that this is a proper reading of the situation in this poem. But if we look at one of Hemans other works "The Wife of Asdrubal”, we see another picture of women. In this poem, the wife/mother is a strong figure as she yells out from the flames against her husband who fled. But then in a shocking moment, we see her proceed to kill her children. I wonder if Hemans is making a comment about women's ability to handle these sort of high pressure situations in the public world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Hemans is not trying to make a singular argument about how women SHOULD be, like Wollstonecraft did. I don't think her intention is to say, do this instead of this other demeaning thing. I think her collection of poems illustrating the lives of various women is a comment of itself, insinuating that women can do what they will, and need not be chastised. I agree with you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both bring up good points, but I agree with the Noble Savage more. Hemans lived in a very masculine world with little opportunity for women to express themselves, so this piece and her other poems "start a conversation" on what women could do, which would lead to more rights and opportunities for women.

    ReplyDelete