This poem obviously reflects
Heman’s belief that men “betray” the “hearth and home” (1180). In the poem, Asdrubal
is characterized to represent a strong, powerful woman in contrast to the
cowardly, weak Asdrubal. I really liked the way that Hemans takes
female-stereotypes and reverses them within the poem. Physically, Hemans takes
the stereotypes of beautiful blonde locks (stereotypical of the Romantic
female) and flushed cheeks and turns them into “dark… locks unbound” and flushed
cheeks that instead of representing an innocence, produce her “haughty mien.”
The wife abandons her female characteristics to become the “avenging goddess.”
In addition, obviously the wife abandons stereotypical maternal roles as she
stabs and burns her own children. However, I found it interesting that in doing
so, the speaker claims she is helping them because their “woes and passions
soon shall be at rest.” By acting unmaternally, she is being maternal. With the
abandoning of female appearance and maternal nature, I wonder if Hemans is
suggesting the need for women to abandon these characteristics to obtain power.
Or, since the man in the poem is opposite the male stereotype, is she showing
how wrong stereotypes have been in producing female and male roles? I know her
beliefs and opinions from the intro, I just found it interesting that the woman
must abandon her appearance in gaining power, but still remains maternal at the
end of the poem, almost like she cannot abandon who she is, but needs to use it
in her obtainment of power.
I agree that her actions at the end of the poem are strangely maternal. I also really love the line when she is called an "avenging goddess." She and Asdrubal are portrayed as opposites -- he abandons her and acts "ignobly." She is a super badass. This is definitely one for women wherein she flips stereotypes around and plays with them in order to show that women (such as the author) are capable of great strength, courage, and change.
ReplyDelete